The Dailymotion hack recalls the cyberattack on Yahoo last September. This time, 85 million accounts are affected by this massive data leak.
After the massive data breaches of web giants Dropbox, Badoo, MySpace, Tumblr, LinkedIn and Yahoo! in September 2016 (the biggest massive piracy of individual data against a single company never made public), Dailymotion, one of the most visited video platforms in the world has been attacked. The French online video giant remains behind YouTube, bringing in more than 300 million unique visitors per month. More than 85 million accounts are affected by this massive data leak, which still makes it one of the most important attacks of the year.
One of the most important attacks of the year
LeakedSource sounded the alarm this week by acquiring some of the stolen data. According to them, Dailymotion’s database was victim to an intrusion in early October which allowed the hackers to recover the data of more than 85 million users: mainly identifiers, passwords and email addresses.
87 million accounts for video sharing platform DailyMotion was recently #leakedonline. #breach #infosec #data #security — News About Security (@BigSecurityNews) December 5, 2016
Today, Dailymotion responded to these revelations on their company blog. They claim to have learned that the passwords of a number of accounts were compromised due to an external security problem, adding that the hack seems to be limited and puts no personal data at risk. In addition, the site claims to have taken all necessary measures to identify any gaps and remedy them before inviting all users to reset their passwords now.
If you have a Dailymotion account, you can follow these tips to help protect your account. The first thing to do is change your password as well as the security precaution because it could allow hackers to create a new password and access your accounts (click here to access your Dailymotion account and change the password). If you use the same password for different accounts, do not forget to change it everywhere. You can also send a message to your contacts to warn them in case they have been contacted by hackers.
How do I change my Dailymotion password?
If you remember your password:
- Sign in to your account
- Use the drop-down menu in the upper right corner to access your settings
- Select Account Settings
- Enter a new password and save the changes
If you do not remember your password:
- Click Forgot your password?
- Enter the email address associated with your Dailymotion account
- Click Submit
- An email with a link to reset your password will be sent to you shortly
How do I secure my passwords?
The easiest and most efficient way to secure all your passwords is with the free Avast Passwords solution. Avast Passwords is for PC, Mac, and Android. Avast Passwords helps you avoid using the same password twice and prevents you from having to save them in your browser, so you won’t have to worry about hackers.
In general, you can follow these few rules in order to secure your accounts online:
- Change your password regularly
- Never use the same password for two different sites
- Choose a strong password (consisting of at least eight characters, including at least three different character types from the four existing character types (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters)
- Do not use passwords that use obvious credentials (such as date of birth, place of birth, or phone number)
- When available, enable dual identification (or two-step verification)
- Check the recent activity of your accounts (to see if other people you have accessed in parallel to your account)
- Never save your passwords on your browser (it is very easy for anyone to take the passwords you save on your browser)
- When you receive an email from an unknown person or have a doubt about its contents, put it in the recycle bin immediately
Source and Copyright: Avast Blogs